Saturday, July 9, 2011

Letter to an English Abolitionist, 1845 James Henry Hammond

I had sort of the same response to your TA as Amy.  I didn’t really understand how you perceived the article, although the TA is written well, I was confused on whether you thought it was a good bad argument for a pro-slavery in that time period.  This article gives a unique heart wrenching account of how slave owners were rationalizing their actions in this time period and I though Hammond did a magnificent job in writing his true honest thoughts.  I find it interesting how people in all time periods and in all religions can take a piece of religious scripture and twist it into what they want to rationalize monster behavior to their fellow man. This was obviously an intelligent man who was egotistical and had no kind thought for any individual who did not have the intelligence or means of living that he had been given.  I found this article to be argumentative, angry, but I have to say that Ben has done a great job of presenting us with an excellent account of the mindset in this time period.  This really created a true picture for me about how someone in this time period could try to rationalize this ownership of other humans, even though it is a tough read.

No comments:

Post a Comment